Every year from mid-May to September, the biggest fish in the world, the whale shark, descends upon the waters around Holbox Island, providing visitors and locals alike with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to swim alongside them in their natural habitat.
As well as the impressive whale sharks, you may also be lucky enough to come across huge manta rays, turtles and a variety of other exotic marine life. This is a day-long tour with experienced guides, snorkelling equipment and a fresh fish ceviche lunch with drinks included. If you are vegetarian or vegan, please let us know in advance and we can provide you with fruit and guacamole as an alternative.
Here are the rules of the whale shark experience:
- During the tour, you must wear the life vest at all times.
- You must keep at a 6.5 ft distance from the sharks. You should not touch them under any circumstances.
- No swimming under the sharks.
- No jumping into the water. All immersions must be done smoothly.
- Flash photography is not allowed.
- Only biodegradable sunscreen is allowed, but it has to be applied at least 30 minutes before immersing.
- Respecting the instructions of the captain and tour guides is mandatory.
In the words of Gustavo, one of the guides on the island, “anything that I can say about this experience falls short in comparison to actually living it”. If you visit Holbox in the summer, don’t miss this expedition!
Please remember that whale sharks are wild animals and it is not guaranteed that you will find them.
*all tours must be reserved by 4pm the day before.