There aren't many places in the world where you can list sunsets as a 'thing to do', but on Holbox Island, they really are something which need to be noted.
Due to the position of the island, the sun sets directly over the sea and every day you'll be surprised by how differently the sky lights up moments after watching the sun melt into the calm waters. Pink, burnt orange, purple, red – you never know what to expect. And don't forget to turn around as the sun sets, sometimes the most impressive view is actually behind you.
Here are a few of our favourite spots to enjoy these daily magical moments with your loved ones.
- The pier: buy a bottle of wine or champagne from Yo Amo Mexico (Ref: T40, M11) and get a good seat. Dangle your legs over the side, watch the pelicans skimming and diving into the sea and smile for the camera
- Bar Arena (Ref: R02, M11): one of the two highest buildings in Holbox, sip on a delicious cocktail while taking in the fabulous view.
- Mandarina roof, Casa Las Tortugas on the main beach (Ref: R37, O10): comfy sofas, quality mescal, and a sunset you'll never forget. Pass by Luuma (R35, O10) after this for some extremely delicious tapas and cocktails.
- Raices bar and restaurant on the main beach (Ref: R48, E1): order some fresh fish, or a plate of guacamole with a bottle of beer, and enjoy how the island transforms from day to night.
- Alma Bar (Ref: R103, G1): Trendy rooftop bar with an incredible view, swimming pool, loungers, and chill-out DJs.
- El Chiringuito (Ref: R42, K10): the locals' favourite spot.
Note: Just after the sun goes down, the mosquitos come out, so we recommend making your way back to your hotel or apartment to relax for 45 minutes or so. That, or ensure you’ve got some insect repellent with you.